Friday, February 8, 2013

Mexican Lentil Stew

 
I love lentil soup...it is inexpensive to make, very hearty, I nearly always have the ingredients on hand, and the best part is that it is even better the next day! I made a big batch Monday evening for dinner and then we had leftovers throughout the week for lunch! It takes some time, but overall easy to make. The Mexican spices are perfect and very tasty!

Mexican Lentil Stew
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup green lentils
1 T coconut oil
2 large onions, chopped (food processor)
3 garlic cloves, minced  (food processor)
3 carrots, chopped  (food processor)
5 celery stalks, chopped  (food processor)
2 t Himalayan salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t paprika
1 t cumin
1 t dried oregano
1 t dried thyme
1 T red wine vinegar
1 8 oz can tomato sauce (no sugar or salt added)
6 cups water
In large pot, bring 2 cups water and rice to boil. Simmer 20 minutes. (I like to set a timer.) When rice is done simmering, add lentils to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. In the meantime, heat coconut oil in large saute pan. Process the onions and garlic in a food processor. When pan is hot, add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, approx 5 minutes. Process carrots in the food processor until very small and add to onion mixture. Do the same for the celery. Add seasonings and saute everything for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When lentils are done, add veggie mixture to pot, along with the vinegar, tomato sauce, vegetable broth powder and additional 6 cups water. Stir everything well and bring to a boil. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. I like to turn off the heat next and just let the stew sit on the stove for about 30 minutes before serving so it gets thick! It is even better the next day! Note:start making this soup about 2 hours before you want to eat it! (Approx 45 minutes prep/cooking, 45 minutes simmering, 30 minutes resting.)

2 comments:

  1. I have this soup cooking on my stove right now, and it smells so amazing! I went to a GreenSmoothieGirl conference last week and was so inspired. Started drinking green smoothies and eating whole foods. All of your recipes and info is so useful and needed by me right now. I know I will feel much better soon if I keep this up, but right now I am so depressed and feel generally fatigued...do you think this is part of a detox or something? Just looking at the amazing beautiful food I will eat is uplifting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! It probably is a detox if you are feeling a little tired and hopefully you will be feeling more energetic in no time. Good luck on your journey to health!

      Delete