Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Just Like My Dad's" Salsa

 
My Dad makes amazing salsa. It is addicting!! I finally have come up with my own version of his specialty!  One thing to note about salsa is that it will always taste just a little different depending on how sweet, spicy, and fresh your ingredients are...and everyone likes theirs just a little different. So this is a basic recipe you can add more or less spice to depending on taste!

One more thing....I learned from my parents growing up that when you are cooking with tomatoes, you need to add some sweetener for the best taste. My mom always added brown sugar to her spaghetti sauce and my dad always adds sugar to his salsa! I of course use a natural sweetener, but it is definitely my secret ingredient in this salsa!!

"Just Like My Dad's" Salsa
1 yellow onion
2 t minced garlic
1-2 jalapenos, seeds removed
10 Roma tomatoes, cut in half
juice of 1/2 lime
3/4 t Himalayan salt
1/4 t cumin
1-2 T raw honey (my secret ingredient-pure maple syrup is also good)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (another must for great salsa!)
Take onion, garlic and jalapeno and process in food processor until desired consistency. Pour into bowl. Add tomatoes to food processor and process until desired consistency. I like mine fairly chunky. Add lime, seasonings and honey and mix well. Add cilantro and stir until combined. Taste salsa and add more salt/spice/sweet if needed. Serve immediately for best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment