Thursday, May 17, 2012

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

 If you know me, I LOVE cauliflower!  And I LOVE cauliflower soup!  I think my daughter loves it even more!! She was begging for it, so I made some...but tried adding some new spices and rice milk and ended up with another version! It turned out really smooth and creamy.  So here is my latest version of cauliflower soup...it has a luscious, velvety texture with lots of good spices!

Creamy Cauliflower Soup
1 T EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch celery, chopped with the leaves
1 head cauliflower, chopped
2 T fresh thyme

1/2 t herbs de provence
1/4 t Italian seasoning
salt and pepper,to taste
4 c vegetable broth
1 c rice milk
fresh parsley, chopped (optional for garnish)
Heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.   Add celery, cauliflower, thyme and other seasonings. Cook for 5-10 minutes until veggies are starting to get soft.  Add the broth and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are soft enough to pierce with a fork.  Remove from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if necessary. (Note: use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.  Or I like to put a towel on top of lid and hold tightly while I start blending slowly.) Return puréed soup to pot and adjust seasoning if necessary. Great with a little fresh parsley on top!  We served our soup with some fresh strawberries and had a lovely dinner!!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried thin-slicing cauliflower and roasting it with a bit of olive oil? It looks GREAT if you slice it so you can see the structure of the cauliflower, and it tastes better. Kinda like guiltless french fries. And then if you put it with a kalamata olive tapenade... nom nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE roasted cauliflower with EVOO, but have never done it thin sliced! Definitely going to have to try that SOON! And the olive tapenade sounds divine! Thanks for the tips!! I found another cauliflower recipe that you roast an entire cauliflower head in a tomato and olive sauce that looks divine...I will be trying that one soon as well!

      Delete