Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cauliflower & Celery Soup

 I LOVE cauliflower soup, but the version I LOVE and used to make has butter, cream and flour in it (items I do not eat much of anymore.)  I got 4 bunches of celery in my Bountiful Basket one day, so I decided to make a cauliflower and celery soup!  My friend suggested a potato to thicken the soup which I thought was a great idea.  That is how I came up with this soup...it is velvety, smooth and delicious! Enjoy!!

Cauliflower & Celery Soup
1 T EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch celery, chopped with the leaves
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 T fresh Thyme
Salt and pepper,to taste
6 c vegetable broth
Heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.   Add celery, cauliflower, sweet potato and thyme.  Season with salt and pepper.
 
Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft enough that they can easily be pierced with a knife.     Remove from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if necessary. 
(Use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.) Return puréed soup to pot and adjust seasoning if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment