Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Throw in the Pot" Veggie Soup

One thing I ALWAYS have lots of in my fridge is VEGGIES!  
One day, I just started throwing things in the pot and this soup is what I ended up with!  I have since made it SEVERAL times and have found it is quite versatile to use up veggies in my fridge!  I also enjoy changing it up with different veggies, grains, and beans!  This soup is super simple and healthy too!  I make a huge pot and eat it for lunch during the week!  In this picture, I served it with whole wheat flat bread! 

"Throw in the Pot" Veggie Soup
2 T EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c celery, chopped
1 1/2 c carrots, chopped
1 1/2 c broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 c cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 c brussels sprouts, bottoms removed & quartered
1 can Mexican Fiesta diced tomatoes
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
1 can corn
8 c vegetable stock 
2/3 c fresh parsley, chopped
1 c brown rice, cooked
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 t "no salt" seasoning (from Costco)
1 t Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Saute onions and garlic in EVOO until translucent, approx 5 minutes.  Next, add vegetables as you chop them...celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. Saute for 5 minutes then add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.  Bring to boil and simmer until cooked through, approximately 10-15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. We also love the no salt seasoning from Costco! Wow! Who knew we liked such similar stuff?:)

    ReplyDelete